Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Saving Money at Your Kid's Next Birthday Party

I can’t believe that my son Zach is going to be 9 on Friday. He is growing up so fast and is getting very tall. I think that within the next couple of years he will be taller than me.

Last weekend we had Zach’s birthday party and I got lucky this year and saved $150 because I was not able to order and inflatable jumpy for the kids. I called six different inflatable rental companies and they were all sold out. Zach has always had a jumpy at his birthday parties, so I was concerned about what they would do this year.

I thought of waters balloons, but it was cold. I also thought of all of those things that we used to do at my birthday parties (a long time ago), kick the can, musical chairs & pin the tail on the donkey, but I did not think that Zach would be very excited about that. So, I end up doing nothing!

We had a lot of people, a lot of food and a very nice day to enjoy each others' company. The adults had a great time and the kids had a great time too, even without a jumpy (I did not hear one complaint!)

I will probably never rent an inflatable again. This made me start to think that sometimes the things we do to make our kids happy are expensive and unnecessary. Most of the time they are completely happy without all of the extras!

1 comment: