Thursday, March 5, 2009

Home Depot takes burned out CFL bulbs

Follow up to my 12/07 post: I wrote about CFL bulbs and how the advantages of their energy and cost savings were great, but I'd had a couple burn out long before they were supposed to. I was frustrated back then at what to do with the burned out bulbs because there weren't any convenient drop off locations that would take the mercury-containing bulbs. (They can't be thrown in the trash because the mercury poisons our water supply if they get to the landfill.) As a result I have a collection of burned out CFL bulbs, but now there is a solution!

I just found out that Home Depot and Wal-Mart collect them.

CFL bulbs are supposed to last longer than incandescent bulbs and are more expensive than regular bulbs but they use less energy. According to TheDailyGreen.com, they pay for themselves in a few months. And if every household replaced just one regular bulb with a CFL bulb, the amount of energy saved could light 2.5 million homes for a year. Now with convenient ways to properly dispose of them, it's easier to justify buying them, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment