Thursday, May 28, 2009

Make sure to get your credit score at least once a year!

We always hear about how important it is to run our credit report at least once a year, but it may be something that you put off because you think that it will take a lot of time. I know that is how I feel about it. With everything else going on I just keep putting it off, and it ends up at the bottom of my list of things to do, even though I know how important it is. It has probably been over a year and a half since I have done this, even though I know that I get one free report a year.

Well, last night I finally ran a credit report for myself and my husband and I think it took me less than 15 minutes to get both reports. Can you believe it? It made me feel pretty stupid that I put myself (my credit score, “the most important number”) at risk instead of taking care of something that is so easy to do.

You may be unsure about what credit reporting site is the best to use. You do need to be careful when selecting one because some credit reporting sites are not legitimate and they put your personal information at risk. Hawthorne recommends that our members go to annualcreditreport.com.

Click here for more information about credit reports & credit scores.

1 comment:

  1. Something to keep in mind with annualcreditreport.com is that you’re entitled to one free report from each bureau once a year, but you don’t need to grab all three of them at the same time. If you spaced them out every four months, say TransUnion in January, Experian in May, and Equifax in September, by the time January rolls around again, you’re eligible for your TransUnion report again. The upside is that you’re getting a look quarterly as to what’s being reported to the bureaus. The downside is that if you don’t get all three at once, you can’t compare and contrast to check against errors.

    ReplyDelete